Controversial Auburn deputy mayor Salim Mehajer has been charged with intimidation for allegedly making threats against the father of a Lindt Cafe siege survivor.
Mehajer, who made headlines for his show-stopping August wedding in western Sydney, is accused of threatening Bruce Herat, the father of Joel Herat.
Joel was one of the Lindt Cafe staffers who survived the December siege, when gunman Man Haron Monis took 18 people hostage.
Police said on Thursday a 29-year-old man had been issued with a court attendance notice for the offence of intimidation, which is listed for mention at Burwood Local Court for November 19.
A personal violence order has also been served on the 29-year-old, which is listed for mention at the same court next week, police said.
The millionaire property developer grabbed headlines again two weeks ago when he was re-elected as deputy mayor in controversial circumstances.
Mehajer initially tied on four votes with Labor councillor George Campbell, after one councillor left the room and another abstained from voting.
His name was then drawn out of a hat to decide the winner, leaving fellow councillor Irene Simms shocked and many local residents furious.
On Sunday, Mehajer revealed his aspirations for federal politics in a TV interview.
“I would love to make my way up to the very top spot,” he told the Nine Network.
Mehajer made headlines for his show-stopping August wedding and was in September re-elected despite concerns about a potential conflict between his position on the council and his property interests.
He says he doesn’t think he has “what it takes to be a super star”.
“But we’ll see what happens,” he said.
“If an opportunity knocks at my door, I’m always willing for a challenge.”