News State NSW News Lindt cafe reopens following tragic siege

Lindt cafe reopens following tragic siege

Martin Place siege lindt cafe
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The now famous Lindt cafe in Sydney’s Martin Place reopened on Friday morning three months after a 16-hour siege which claimed the lives of two people.

Gunman Man Haron Monis took 18 staff and customers at the cafe hostage on December 15 before being killed in a shootout with police.

• Tea, cake, murder: Sydney siege details emerge
• Sydney ‘smiles again’ with Lindt Cafe reopening

Lindt cafe manager Tori Johnson lost his life in the siege, along with barrister and mother-of-three Katrina Dawson.

Lindt Australia chief executive Steve Loane said the decision to reopen the cafe was made after consulting staff and was important for moving forward.

Sydney's Lindt Cafe to reopen after deadly siege
Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson.

“Overwhelmingly, the feeling was that reopening and moving forward is the best thing to do for everyone affected,” Mr Loane said.

Speaking to ABC radio, he said the reopening came after “three months of sadness” and said counsellors would be on site for staff.

“They’re ready to go and they really want to welcome customers in.”

Doors to the cafe opened at 10.00am on Friday, and standard trading hours will resume on Saturday.

Two plaques dedicated to Mr Johnson and Mrs Dawson have been installed inside the cafe as a permanent memorial and will be unveiled on Friday

New South Wales Premier Mike Baird met with staff ahead of the reopening.

Mr Loane thanked the public for what he said had been an outpouring of support since the siege.

“This has been an extremely difficult period for so many people impacted by those tragic events,” he said.

He also asked that the staff’s personal privacy be respected as they go back to the job they love.

Significant restoration work has been made to the cafe after it was badly damaged in the police shootout which ended the siege.

– with AAP

View Comments