News State NSW News Xie trial aborted
Updated:

Xie trial aborted

Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The jury in the high-profile murder trial of Lian Bin “Robert” Xie has been discharged after new evidence came to light.

Justice Peter Johnson told the Supreme Court jury on Tuesday that they could go home after they spent a month sitting through evidence.

He told them new material given to the crown and then provided to the defence earlier this month meant the only appropriate way to proceed was for the jury to be discharged.

“The material may make a substantial difference to the trial of the accused,” Justice Johnson said.

“The material … may change the shape and content of the trial in significant ways.”

Xie is accused of creeping into the North Epping home of his brother-in-law Min Lin, 45, Mr Lin’s wife, Lily, 44 and their sons Henry, 12, and Terry, 9, in the early hours of July 18, 2009.

He is alleged to have murdered them and Lily’s sister, Irene, 39.

He has pleaded not guilty.

A new trial is expected to start at a later date.