News State NSW News Man jailed over ‘onslaught’ in Kings Cross

Man jailed over ‘onslaught’ in Kings Cross

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A magistrate has said the community is “justifiably revolted” by alcohol-related violence as he jailed a man for nine months over a “cowardly onslaught” in Kings Cross.

Chief Magistrate Graeme Henson made repeated references to the prevalence of alcohol-related violence when he sentenced Corey Barlow, 21, on Friday over an affray on Bayswater Road at around 4am on July 4 last year.

The altercation broke out after two young men, known only as Mr Tatana and Mr Campo, began trading verbal blows with two of Barlow’s associates.

The pair then ran over to Mr Campo and began punching him.

Despite Mr Campo trying to back away, Barlow “made a deliberate choice to enter the fray” and set on him, punching him in the head with a closed fist, Magistrate Henson said.

Meanwhile, a third attacker then became involved, knocking Mr Tatana to the ground and punching him.

At this point Barlow stopped his attack on Mr Campo and ran to where Mr Tatana lay on the roadway.

He then began punching and kicking him for up to 60 seconds.

After worried onlookers intervened and called police, an unconscious Mr Tatana was taken to hospital with injuries to his face, legs and abdomen.

Mr Campo, meanwhile was hospitalised with a severe laceration to his lip.

It was clear from CCTV footage that Mr Tatana and Mr Campo – apart from the exchange of words – wanted no part in a physical altercation, Magistrate Henson told the Downing Centre Local Court on Friday.

“Life experience informs the Court both victims will retain the memory of this violent, sustained and cowardly onslaught for a long time.”

In sentencing Barlow for one count of affray, Magistrate Henson said the events surrounding the incident describe a scenario that is “prevalent within the community, particularly in the inner city of Sydney.

“It represents the type of conduct that is viewed with justifiable revulsion by the wider community.”

Conduct of such “sustained violence and menace” must receive adequate punishment, he added.

Barlow, the court heard, had a history of excessive alcohol consumption and had a difficult upbringing, with an absent father who had substance abuse issues.

He had a “clear need” for rehabilitation, particularly in relation to his ongoing issues with substance abuse, Magistrate Henson said.

He sentenced Barlow to a minimum of nine months, to be released in November.

He will then serve 11 months on parole.