News State NSW News Riot squad needed after man shot dead

Riot squad needed after man shot dead

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Police riot squad officers had to be called in after a group of young men clashed with officers at the scene of a fatal shooting in Sydney’s southwest.

Police and ambulance paramedics responded to reports of a shooting at Equity Place in Canley Vale at about 2.45am (AEDT) on Sunday to find a man aged in his 20s on a footpath suffering gunshot wounds.

Despite the efforts of paramedics, the man died at the scene outside an apartment block in the suspected drive-by shooting.

Police say the man was known to them and the shooting was not believed to be random.

Riot squad officers were called before dawn after a group of young men who knew the victim clashed with police amid heated exchanges after being barred from entering the crime scene.

During the confrontation one man shouted, “I want to see my brother.”

Members of the group scuffled with police who drew batons and were backed up by police dogs before the men were wrestled to the ground and restrained.

A police spokeswoman told AAP that three of the men were arrested and moved on from the scene, but no charges had been laid.

A distraught young woman was also at the scene before dawn on Sunday.

Police had cordoned off the street and later erected an awning as forensic officers examined the scene and local residents were questioned.

Jennifer Nguyen, 33, who lives at the apartment block where the man died, told AAP she heard nothing overnight but thought there might have been a party on Saturday night.

“I woke up about 4am when police knocked on my door,” Ms Nguyen said.

“Oh my God, I was shocked.”

Ms Nguyen said the street was normally very quiet.

Meanwhile, police are investigating an incident at Hinchinbrook, also in Sydney’s southwest, after a man driving a car escaped injury when the rear passenger windows sustained suspected gunshot damage.

“A 32-year-old man, who had been driving the car at the time of the incident, was not injured,” police said.

Police were called to the incident at South Liverpool Road at about 2.25am on Sunday and have seized a black Holden Barina for forensic examination.

A police spokeswoman said it was too early to say if the two shootings were linked.