News State ACT News Woolies mushroom scare
Updated:

Woolies mushroom scare

Shutterstock
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Three people from the same household have been hospitalised in Canberra suffering from possible death cap mushroom poisoning.

The ACT Health Department is investigating the patients’ claims they ate mushrooms bought from a Woolworths store in the Canberra suburb of Dickson more than a week ago.

A spokeswoman for ACT Health says the incident is being treated as isolated and there have not been any other reported cases.

Anyone who ate mushrooms bought from Dickson Woolworths around April 17 and is experiencing symptoms of stomach aches, vomiting and diarrhoea is advised to seek immediate medical attention.

“Three patients from the same household have presented to Calvary Hospital in the last 48 hours with possible death cap mushroom poisoning. The three patients are currently in a stable condition,” said the ACT’s chief health officer, Paul Kelly, in a statement.

“If people still have mushrooms that were purchased from Woolworths Dickson around this time they are recommended to discard them.

“People are reminded not to pick and eat any wild mushrooms. It can be extremely difficult for even experienced collectors to distinguish death cap mushrooms from other edible mushrooms.”

Symptoms of poisoning generally appear between six and 24 hours after ingesting death cap mushrooms.

The statement said that ACT Health and Woolworths are “working closely” to investigate the matter.