Queensland’s Labor government is under pressure to reveal why it has not yet released the findings of two mine safety reviews following another death on site.
The 33-year-old worker died on Sunday after reportedly becoming trapped in machinery at a central Queensland coal mine.
Emergency crews were called to the Curragh coal mine near Blackwater just before 4.30pm but the worker could not be saved.
Police are preparing a report for the coroner as workplace safety officials investigate the cause of his death.
It’s the eighth mining death in Queensland in the last two years, and the second since November.
The LNP on Monday accused the Labor government of failing to release crucial information about the safety of mines across the state.
“Last July, Labor announced two separate independent reviews into Queensland’s mine safety and these were meant to be finalised at the end of the year, but they’re yet to be released,” Shadow Mines Minister Dale Last said.
“(Mines) Minister (Anthony Lynham) needs to explain why they’ve been delayed.”
A spokesperson from Dr Lynham’s office told AAP the findings would be tabled when parliament resumes in February.
A worker has died after reportedly becoming trapped in machinery at a central Queensland coal mine.
Emergency crews were called to the Curragh coal mine near Blackwater just before 4.30pm on Sunday but the worker could not be saved.
Police are preparing a report for the coroner as workplace safety officials investigate the cause of the 33-year-old’s death. Comment has been sought comment from the mine’s operator.
It’s the eighth mining death in Queensland in the past two years. Late last year the state government vowed to get tough on mining bosses who fail to protect their workers.
Under a bill to be considered by parliament this year, they could be jailed and hit with hefty fines for deaths on their mine sites.
The government announced plans to create an industrial manslaughter offence for the resources sector after the November death of Brad Duxbury, 57, at Carborough Downs, also in central Queensland.
The charge would carry a maximum 20-year sentence for company heads and fines of up to $10 million for firms found to have been negligent.
The mining union, the CFMEU, has also sent safety officers to the Curragh site.
“Our hearts go out to family, friends and loved ones,” the union’s Queensland president Stephen Smyth said in a statement.
“This is a terrible start to 2020. The industry must redouble efforts to end the tragic loss of life in our mines.”