Queensland’s bushfire emergency declaration has been lifted from all parts of the state following two weeks of ferocious fire conditions and the loss of 20 homes.
The declaration was imposed on November 9 as firefighters battled more than 50 bushfires and thousands of people were evacuated from the path of an out of control blaze on the Sunshine Coast.
One home was lost in the Cooroibah fire, near Noosa. Another 15 were destroyed at Cobraball, in central Queensland, and four at Ravensbourne on the Darling Downs in the days since.
“Over the last few weeks, our state has been in the grips of some very severe and challenging fire weather,” Queensland Fire and Emergency Services acting- commissioner Mike Wassing said in a statement.
“While conditions have eased slightly, and the bushfire danger has fallen … (allowing the declaration to be lifted), we still have significant blazes that continue to burn.”
🚨STATE OF FIRE EMERGENCY REVOKED🚨
The State of Fire Emergency Declaration has been revoked HOWEVER local fire bans have been re-introduced in areas previously covered by the declaration.
— Qld Fire & Emergency (@QldFES) November 23, 2019
On Saturday, 58 fires continue to burn across the state, however, none are at emergency levels.
Despite this, authorities have reintroduced local fire bans across the southern half of the state.
Under a local fire ban, all open fires are prohibited and all previously issued permits to light a fire are cancelled.
Power tools may be used during a local fire ban however QFES encourages people to use these with extreme care.
“Now is not the time to be complacent – conditions are still dry and there isn’t significant rainfall expected in Queensland in the immediate future,” acting-commissioner Wassing said.