Traditional owners opposed to Adani’s coal mine have suffered another setback, with a court rejecting a bid to broaden the scope of their complaint against the controversial development.
The application’s failure means the appeal over Adani’s indigenous land-use agreement with the Wangan and Jagalingou people will go ahead in Brisbane, starting on Monday.
They application to the Federal Court on Friday came on the same day Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk set a mid-June deadline for the completion of two outstanding state approvals for the Galilee Basin mine.
The plaintiffs asked the court in Sydney if they could add new material, in relation to a newly published judgment, in a bid to strengthen their appeal chances.
Barrister Tom Sullivan, for Adani, told the court that amounted to “changing the goal posts” and would require further investigations and the exploration of new evidence.
He said the parties had already defined the scope of the litigation.
The court found it was not in the interest of justice, or fair, to Adani and the other respondents to subject them to a wider trial on a larger issue.
Adrian Burragubba, a spokesman for traditional owners who oppose the mine, said the mine posed a risk to sacred sites and a spring which should alarm “anybody that comes to this beautiful place”.
“As you can see, our surroundings here, it’s in its natural form — this is nature at its best,” Mr Burragubba said.
“There’s so much to gain from this place.”