High profile former Northern Territory youth detainee, Dylan Voller, has pleaded guilty in a Gold Coast court to making a bomb hoax at last year’s Commonwealth Games.
The 21-year-old rang triple-0 on April 15, 2018 and said a bomb was planted at the finish line of the marathon.
The threat led to a search of the Broadwater Parklands, but did not disrupt the event.
Voller pleaded guilty in the District Court on the Gold Coast to one charge of staging a bomb hoax.
The former Don Dale detainee, who gave evidence at the 2016 Royal Commission into Youth Detention, was sentenced to six months in prison, immediately suspended.
The court heard Voller was homeless at the time of the threat and is now living in stable accommodation in Sydney and working to help Indigenous youth.
In sentencing, Judge Catherine Muir said, “it was a hoax but it remains a serious offence”.
“I accept that this is an early guilty plea. I also accept that your early guilty plea is an indication of your remorse.”
The maximum penalty for the offence was five years in prison.
The court was also told that Voller suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder which stemmed from the abuse he suffered while in youth detention.
“I accept that you suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder,” Judge Muir said.
The court was also told Voller was committed to improving the plight of Indigenous youth and was undertaking study in the field.
“I accept that you have a genuine drive to pose positive social change in Australia,” the judge said.
“You can act as a role model for other young people.”
Voller came to national attention in July 2016 when the ABC’s Four Corners program aired a story containing a series of videos involving the detainee being stripped, assaulted and mistreated while in youth detention in the Northern Territory.
It prompted a royal commission into the Detention and Protection of Children in the Northern Territory.