News Queensland Rescuers haul Qld man to safety after whale sends his boat to the bottom

Rescuers haul Qld man to safety after whale sends his boat to the bottom

With the whale population booming, experts warn the number of collisions will rise. Photo: AAP
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A boatie has been rescued after his boat hit a whale and sank, leaving him floating alone in the water for more than two hours, off the western side of Queensland’s Fraser Island.

The 42-year-old man, who was wearing a life jacket, made a distress call to authorities just after 3:00am this morning as his eight-metre boat was sinking.

A search was launched involving a rescue helicopter, Queensland Water Police and Volunteer Marine Rescue.

The helicopter spotted the man floating in the water about 4:30am, with the Queensland Water Police then able to find him and bring him back to the mainland.

Hervey Bay Water Police officer Senior Constable Craig Collings said the emergency beacon signal was located in the Platypus Bay area.

“The police vessel was underway and arrived on scene about 5:10am,” he said.

Feeling the cold

“He had an injury to his upper left arm and rib area so it was a little difficult to get him into the vessel.

“He was quite fatigued and relieved at the same time and also suffering a bit of hypothermia.

“With the effects of the cold, [it] was a little bit difficult to get to much information from the gentleman.”

Senior Constable Collings said Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) officers then arrived on a second boat to treat the man at the scene.

“Once the QAS officers treated the gentleman, he certainly recovered reasonably quickly,” he said.

The man was then taken to Hervey Bay hospital, south of Bundaberg.

Hervey Bay Marine Rescue spokeswoman Jill Barclay said the man was very lucky but well prepared, given his predicament.

“He was in the water and able to activate his emergency positioning beacon, and police put a helicopter up and found him in the water,” she said.

The man spent more than two hours in the water in the dark before being picked up by a police launch.

All those involved in the rescue said the man had luck on his side, given it was dark.

The man was also wearing a life jacket with a flashing light.

“It’s pretty difficult — we are very lucky that he had a distress beacon on him that he activated,” Ms Barclay said.

More whales, greater risk

It is not the first whale strike in the Wide Bay, which is one of Australia’s top destinations to see humpback whales.

“It’s not something that happens regularly but we do hear of it occasionally — usually the whales are pretty aware of boaties around them,” Ms Barclay said.

Last year, six men in a boat were thrown into the air by a breaching whale near Gloucester Island in Queensland’s Whitsundays region.
Two of the men were knocked unconscious, with one suffering facial injuries.

Maritime Safety Queensland said just 11 whale strikes had been officially reported in the four years to 2016.

But that figure is likely to go up given the increasing numbers of whales migrating up the Queensland coast each year.

There has been no sighting of the whale involved in this latest incident, but boaties are urged to keep an eye out for a whale with possible injuries.


View Comments