A major dairy company has recalled eight varieties of its milk sold in Victoria and southern NSW amid fears they may contain cleaning solution.
Lactalis Australia recalled the one-litre Coles, Pauls, REV and PhysiCAL branded milk on Thursday, saying they may contain “an amount of food grade dairy cleaning solution”.
The bad batch of one-litre milk varieties are sold in Coles, Woolworths, IGA and other retailers with best before dates from June 25 to June 28.
The milk may have yellow colouring and a potentially metallic chemical taste, the company said.
In its own statement, Coles said they have sold the milk in across Victoria and southern parts of NSW including Albury, Deniliquin, Lavington and Tocumwal.
Coles customers who subscribe to the chain’s rewards program Flybuys, which tracks consumers’ spending habits and choices, were notified via email that they had purchased one of the eight one-litre brands.
In a statement, Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) said the matter was a food safety issue and anyone concerned about their health should seek medical advice.
Food recall – Victoria only. A number of Paul's Milk and Coles branded milks are being recalled due to contamination with a food grade dairy cleaning solution. The product date marking ranges from 25 to 27 June. Full details at https://t.co/DHErZ2YscR pic.twitter.com/Ti706O52kZ
— FoodStandardsAusNZ (@FSANZnews) June 13, 2019
- *Coles Full Cream Milk 1L Bottle (use by date: 25 and 26 June 2019)
- Coles Low Fat Milk 1L Bottle (use by date: 25 and 26 June 2019)
- Coles Skim Milk 1L Bottle (use by date: 25 June 2019)
- Pauls Full Cream Milk 1L Bottle (use by date: 26 and 27 June 2019) *
- Pauls Smarter White Milk 1L Bottle (use by date: 25, 26 and 27 June 2019)
- REV 1L Bottle (use by date: 28 June 2019)
- PhysiCAL Low Fat 1L Bottle (use by date: 26 June 2019)
- PhysiCAL Skim 1L Bottle (use by date: 27 June 2019
Source: Lactalis Australia
FSANZ urged consumers with the affected products should return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Anyone with concerns can contact the FSANZ consumer service team on 1800 676 96.