Child sex offenders and murderers were among the criminals who faced deportation from Australia when they were stripped of their visa last year.
More than 800 criminals had their visas revoked in 2018 because of convictions that put them behind bars for 12 months or more, Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton and Immigration Minister David Coleman announced on Monday.
One hundred of them had been involved in child sex offences or exploitation, 53 were domestic violence abusers, 34 were guilty of sex offences and 13 were murderers.
Visas were also stripped from 125 people guilty of assault and 56 for armed robbery.
“There’s no place in our country for people who come here and harm Australians,” Mr Dutton said in a statement.
“We welcome people from all round the world, but those few who think they can live in Australia and be involved in criminal actions need to know they won’t be staying long.”
Mr Coleman said visitors who don’t follow Australian laws should expect to be booted from the country.
“It is a privilege to enter and remain in Australia and we have no tolerance for those who put Australians in danger.”
The Coalition government has cancelled 4150 visas since 2014, when the government introduced mandatory visa cancellations.
Under those changes, any non-citizen’s visa must be cancelled if they are sentenced to 12 months or more behind bars.
In October, the government proposed widening the restrictions to remove more criminals from Australia.
Anyone convicted of an offence that is punishable by 24 months in jail could have their visa cancelled, even if they aren’t jailed for that time.
The proposal would affect violent and sexual offenders, domestic abusers and those guilty of possessing weapons if the offence is punishable by two years in jail.
The details come after the federal government revoked the citizenship of terrorist Neil Prakash, claiming he had dual citizenship with Fiji because his father was born there.
He is one of 12 dual national terrorists who’ve lost their citizenship.
Fiji has since denied the 27-year-old has citizenship, but the Australian government maintains it has not left Prakash stateless.
The Melbourne-born man is in a Turkish jail facing terrorism charges for his links to the Islamic State.
The government remains in close contact with Fiji, Mr Dutton said in a statement last week.