News National Ministers to review who should pay for replacing Grenfell-type cladding

Ministers to review who should pay for replacing Grenfell-type cladding

London fire
The Grenfell Tower ablaze in west London Photo: Twitter
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Australia’s building ministers are to examine who should pay to have unsafe cladding removed or rectified in the wake of London’s Grenfell Tower fire in 2017 which claimed more than 70 lives, including two Australians.

NSW Better Regulation Minister Matt Kean called for a “national report” to probe the issue, and on Friday his federal, state and territory colleagues agreed during a meeting in Melbourne.

Mr Kean says that’s proof NSW is leading the nation when it comes to working out who should pay for rectification work that’s required.

“We will continue to push for effective, nation-wide action to give Australians certainty and security when it comes to the buildings where they live, work and play,” Mr Kean said in a statement.

NSW last week announced it would classify unsafe aluminium cladding as a major defect, meaning property owners can demand repairs be done by the responsible builder for up to six years after work is completed.

The changes to the home building laws are not retrospective, however.

An Australian mother and daughter were among the 71 people who lost their lives in the Grenfell tragedy.

Victoria King, 71, and her daughter Alexandra Atala, 40, were the last two victims to be identified in November after their remains were found in their 20th floor flat, it was revealed this week.