News National MasterChef judge George Calombaris admits guilt to assault
Updated:

MasterChef judge George Calombaris admits guilt to assault

georgecalombaristennis
George Calombaris pleads guilty to assault charges. Photo: AAP
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

MasterChef judge George Calombaris has pleaded guilty to assaulting a teenager after the A-League grand final in Sydney earlier this year.

The 38-year-old Network Ten personality was charged in May with assaulting a 19-year-old man at the grand final between Melbourne Victory and the ultimate winners, Sydney FC, at Allianz Stadium.

In the Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday, his barrister, Brendan Green, entered a guilty plea on behalf of his client, Mr Calombaris, who was not present.

Mr Green said a document setting out the facts of the common assault would not be tendered to the court on this occasion.

The celebrity chef will return to court on September 8 for sentencing.

Police told The New Daily in May that the victim was “uninjured”.

Mr Calombaris had earlier said he was “not proud” of his reaction but claimed the teen had made “abusive and derogatory” comments about his family.

“I sincerely apologise for offending anyone,” he said the day after the incident.

Mr Calombaris is a passionate soccer supporter and a Melbourne Victory’s number-one ticket holder.

Footage obtained by The World Game captured the celebrity chef’s reaction to being heckled.

Watch footage of the altercation

A month prior to the altercation, Mr Calombaris apologised after his restaurant empire was caught underpaying staff.

It was reported that 162 of his restaurants’ 430 employees were short-changed a total of $2.6 million. Staff members were repaid about $16,000.

– With AAP