A ninth person has died from last year’s deadly thunderstorm asthma event in Melbourne.
The victim died in hospital this week as a result of the November 21 storm, the Department of Health and Human Services says in a statement.
About 8500 people were hospitalised after the storm came through and every available ambulance in Melbourne was sent out on calls.
No further patients remain in hospital, and no more details of the latest victim were released at the family’s request.
The storm kicked up dust and pollen, and the moisture in the air from the humid, hot day burst the pollen into hundreds of tiny allergenic fragments, penetrating deep into victims’ airways.
The storm even affected people who had never had asthma before.
Experts described it as the world’s worst recorded thunderstorm asthma event.
Eight others died within days of the storm, many losing their lives waiting for ambulances.
Ambulance Victoria said it had a full day’s emergency calls crammed into just five hours when the storm hit.
The emergency response to the storm will be reviewed, with former Victoria Police acting chief commissioner Tim Cartwright to lead the operation.
Law student Hope Carnevali, 20, father-of-two Clarence Leo, grandfather Ranjith Peiris, 18-year-old Omar Moujalled and Apollo Papadopoulos, 35, were among the victims.
The department believes Victoria won’t be seeing the same weather activity for a while, as the pollen season is now over in the state.
But it has advised asthmatics to keep taking their medication, and for people to stay inside when the air quality is low.