The Nauru government has threatened to take a Somalian refugee to court over what they say were false rape claims.
The 26-year old woman known as Namja was living in detention on the island when she claimed she was dragged into bushes and raped by two Nauran men on August 21 this year.
An audio recording of Namja making an emergency phone call to police after the alleged incident was obtained by ABC’s 7.30 in September.
The Naurun government released a statement on Thursday in which it refuted the claims, arguing “insufficient evidence” and revealing Namja’s real name.
“There was no lacerations or bruising around the vaginal region and a spermatozoa test on the victim after a vaginal swab proved negative,” the statement said.
The island’s justice minister David Adeang said the girl could be charged under Naurun law for making a false complaint.
“The police investigation has shown there was no rape. Therefore, as far as we are concerned, the person in question is not a rape victim or a victim of any crime,” wrote Mr Adeang in a statement.
“The person did not cooperate with police and refused to accompany police to what she alleged was the crime scene.”
Mr Adeang also criticised Australian media for referring to Namja is a “rape victim”, arguing truth was “the real victim” in Namja’s case.
Multiple allegations of sexual assault have been made on the small island of Nauru.
Recently, a petition argued another alleged rape victim should be allowed to come to Australia for an abortion, while earlier this month, immigration minister Peter Dutton announced a probe into claims of sexual assault and the behaviour of guards on Nauru.