South Sydney’s Dylan Walker and Aaron Gray have apologised to friends and family after being released from hospital.
The pair were rushed to hospital in the early hours of Tuesday morning after overdosing on prescription painkillers.
Gray admitted they had made mistakes and that their experience should be a warning to others.
“We’d like to apologise to all our family and friends (for the worry caused) over the last few days,” Gray said.
“We know it hasn’t been easy.
“We’d like to say we’ve learnt from our mistakes and we hope everyone can learn lessons – not only rugby league players but people in general.”
The police and NRL Integrity Unit are investigating the incident which almost led to their deaths.
“There will be an appropriate time to debrief on what has happened in this situation, but at the moment our focus remains on the wellbeing of the young men,” Rabbitohs CEO John Lee said.
“The families of both players have thanked everyone who has offered their well wishes and support over the past few days.
“They have also thanked the media for the respect and privacy that has been shown to them and the boys.”
The club confirmed on Wednesday if they had not been found when they were, “we might have been talking about a totally different event today”, The Daily Telegraph reported.
Paramedics arrived at Gray’s Rosebery home about 3.45am on Tuesday, finding one of the men not breathing.
It was believed they overdosed on prescription medication obtained following surgery. Empty cans of energy drinks were also found at the residence.