News National Q&A recap: Bali Nine confusion reigns supreme

Q&A recap: Bali Nine confusion reigns supreme

Tony Jones qanda
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

ABC’s Q&A program took a gut-wrenching turn on Monday night when host Tony Jones told viewers the Bali Nine duo has been granted an appeal.

Mr Jones interrupted the flow of debate after receiving a message on his autocue saying Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran had been granted a May 12 hearing.

Bali Nine executions: Julie Bishop’s tough words for Indonesian President Jokowi
Bali Nine: Chan marries fiancee in final hours

Confusion reigned supreme as two friends of Mr Sukumaran’s in the audience asked the Q&A host if that meant the men’s executions would be delayed.

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 7.02.56 am
Myuran Sukumaran’s friends in the Q&A audience.

“That’s wonderful news, but does that mean they are not going to go ahead with tomorrow? Is that what it means?” one of Mr Sukumaran’s friends asked.

“Because no one is talking to the family.

“They had a harrowing day, delayed for over three and a half hours and only allowed to see the boys for five hours.

“Does that mean they are not going to go ahead with the…”

Both Mr Jones and panellist Liberal senator Arthur Sinodinos said they believed it would delay the executions, which could happen as early as Wednesday morning.

Opposition deputy leader Tanya Plibersek baulked at the report, saying it was unclear what the appeal would mean for the men.

“I’m sorry Tony, having just read the autocue I think we have to be very careful,” Ms Plibersek said.

“We don’t know the full range of information. We might hear updates through the course of the show or afterwards.”

Indonesia’s government is determined to proceed however, with Attorney General H.M. Prasetyo previously saying a challenge would have no bearing on the executions.

The Constitutional Court Challenge follows allegations judges who sentenced Mr Chan and Mr Sukumaran 10 years ago asked for bribes.

Speaking on Sky News on Tuesday morning, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop urged Indonesian President Joko Widodo to allow appeals before the court be concluded before the men are killed.

“There are many serious allegations that have been made and should be subject to a judicial review,” Ms Bishop said.

“I don’t believe the Indonesian government could be in any doubt about the way the Australian government feels about this matter.”

Comments
View Comments