NBN Co has announced a new national rollout plan, revealing 400 cities and suburbs set to soon be connected to the national broadband network.
The plan, released on Monday, details scheduled construction work up to June 2016 and will see an additional 1.9 million homes and businesses nation-wide connected to the network.
So far only 300,000 homes and businesses have been hooked up to the NBN.
The construction will begin this month.
NBN Co CEO Bill Morrow said the new rollout follows a number of successful multi-technology trials.
“Naturally some people will be disappointed that they are not included in today’s schedule,” Mr Morrow said.
“But ultimately no-one misses out as the NBN will be made available to every Australian family and business by 2020.”
New South Wales residents will benefit the most from the plan, with 659,000 households flagged for connection.
NBN households, state-by-state
Queensland – 379,000
New South Wales – 659,000
Victoria – 286,000
South Australia – 161,000
Western Australia – 240,000
Tasmania – 106,000
Northern Territory – 25,000
– with AAP