The audit commission’s key recommendations include:
• Include the family home in a new means test from 2027.
• Allow states to impose personal income tax surcharge, offset by reduction in federal rates.
• Scrap Family Tax Benefit Part B and a new means test for Part A with maximum rate of payment reducing from at $48,837.
• Shift responsibility for all schools policy and funding allocation to the States.
• Uni students to pay more for degrees and lower HELP repayment threshold to minimum wage.
JOBS / EMPLOYMENT
• Cut the minimum wage by around $130 over ten years, and allow the states and territories to set their own minimum wages.
• Consolidate 150 Commonwealth Indigenous programs into no more than seven programs
• Raise the pension age to 62 by 2027, and to 70 by 2053.
• Include the full value of family home in an assets test for new pensioners.
PAID PARENTAL LEAVE AND CHILDCARE
• Cap the Paid Parental Leave Scheme at maximum payment of $57,460.
• Scrap the child care rebate and child care benefit and replace them with a single, means-tested payment.
• Parents must be working, training or studying to receive childcare benefits.
TRANSPORT AND INFRASTRUCTURE
• Expand road user charges, especially for heavy vehicles.
• Re-assess commitment to increase Defence spending to 2 per cent within a decade.
• Reduce size of Defence headquarters to 1998 levels.
• Decouple foreign aid spending from Gross National Income, and ensure it doesn’t increase above inflation.
• Snowy Hydro Limited
• Australian Hearing Services
• Defence Housing Australia
• Australian Submarine Corporation
• Australia Post
• Australian Rail Track Corporation
• Royal Australian Mint
• NBN Co