New video has emerged showing part of the aftermath of last week’s deadly violence at the Manus Island detention centre.
The footage obtained by the Guardian Australia website shows a makeshift hospital where the injured are treated on stretchers by frantic staff. (Watch the video here.)
At one point, someone can be heard calling out: “gunshot wound, gunshot wound”. Later, someone yells “triage!”
According to a Guardian report, the footage was filmed on a concrete wharf next to the floating accommodation block used by Australian detention centre staff.
It shows medical staff treating asylum seekers by torchlight although it is difficult to see how serious the injuries are.
A 23-year-old Iranian man, Reza Barati, was killed and dozens of others injured – some seriously – during the unrest at the centre on February 18.
An autopsy has been carried out on Mr Berati’s body but Immigration Minister Scott Morrison says the results are a matter for Papua New Guinea authorities.
Mr Berati’s family has told the ABC they believe he was murdered and are holding the Australian Government responsible.
The shows a makeshift hospital at which dozens of asylum seekers are being treated by staff on a concrete wharf next to the floating hotel used by the detention centre staff.
The video shows injured detainees being brought the facility on the back of utes in near darkness while workers frantically try to treat the flood of injured.
The footage also captures the sounds of asylum seekers groaning in pain and a staff member shouting out the words “gunshot wound” as a body is rushed through.
In a statement, Mr Morrison has described the death as “tragic” and he appreciates that Mr Berati’s family is feeling a very deep sense of loss.
“The Australian Government has made arrangements with the government of PNG to return Mr Berati’s remains to his family in Iran,” he said.
There are a number of investigations underway to determine what took place at Manus Island, including one into the involvement of Papua New Guinea police.
A preliminary report found that Mr Berati died of multiple head injuries, most likely caused by a heavy object.
Earlier this week, PNG’s deputy police commissioner Simon Kauba told the ABC that officers and locals were not responsible for Mr Berati’s death.