News National Labor slams asylum seeker briefing change

Labor slams asylum seeker briefing change

AAP
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The Labor opposition has condemned Immigration Minister Scott Morrison’s decision to abandon his regular weekly media briefings on asylum seekers.

Mr Morrison confirmed he will no longer hold his Operation Sovereign Borders press conferences every week. He says he will issue a weekly statement but will only hold press conferences on an “as-needs basis”.

Labor’s acting immigration spokeswoman Michelle Rowland said the move showed contempt for the public’s right to know.

“This government has gone from being secretive about their immigration policy to simply shutting it down altogether,” she told ABC radio on Wednesday.

“For the government to determine … what is a needs basis, what the public needs to know, is absolutely contemptuous.”

Mr Morrison had appeared at a weekly press conference with Operation Sovereign Borders commander, Lieutenant General Angus Campbell, each Friday until his last on December 20.

Since then his department has issued a weekly press statement, leaving journalists with no opportunity to question the minister directly.

Comments
View Comments