A dog which took shelter under a bed has survived a unit fire with the help of emergency workers who located the pup and administered oxygen.
Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) crews were called to the Moore Road unit in Vermont South about 6:30pm on Sunday when neighbours reported smoke inside the property.
Crews were able to bring the blaze, which was believed to have started in a television, under control.
The unit’s owner, who was not home at the time, contacted fire crews and asked them to look for her pet dog Angus, who was inside.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus did another search of the home and found Angus hiding under an upstairs bed.
The dog was given oxygen and recovered quickly.
A fire department spokesman said animals responded to oxygen in the same way as people.
Angus got a bath and is now recovering with his grateful owner.