News Election 2016 ALP kingmaker’s future shaky
Updated:

ALP kingmaker’s future shaky

Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

New South Wales Labor sources have told the ABC that party officials will meet this morning to vote on suspending the party’s former general secretary, Jamie Clements, who will face court next month on two electoral commission charges.

The NSW Labor Party has so far declined to comment on the scandal, which will see one of the party’s former most senior officials appear in court during the election campaign.

• Trump closes in on White House
• Aldi’s questionable egg pledge
• Our sad obsession with leadership

 The party may seek to distance itself from its former chief and a damaging court appearance in the last month of the federal election.

Last night 7.30 revealed Mr Clements has been charged by the NSW Electoral Commission for allegedly improperly accessing the electorate roll.

Political parties are given special access rights to voter’s personal information on the electoral roll but are only allowed to use it for particular purposes.

Former ALP NSW secretary Jamie Clements.
Former ALP NSW secretary Jamie Clements. Photo: Supplied.

The Electoral Commission has alleged personal information was disclosed for a purpose not permitted under the act.

Mr Clements has previously denied the allegations and has declined to comment saying the matter is before the courts.

The NSW Electoral Commission has issued a short statement saying Mr Clements will appear in the Downing Centre Local Court on Tuesday, June 7.

The statement was published on the commission’s website three days ago and reads:

“The NSW Electoral Commission has laid charges against a Central Coast man for Disclosing Protected Information and, Using enrolment information that had been provided by the Commission for a purpose not permitted under the Parliamentary Electorates and Elections Act 1912 [“the Act”].”

The Commission alleges that in May 2015, the man disclosed protected information for a purpose not permitted under the Act. Also, that in June 2015, the man used the information, that had been lawfully provided by the Electoral Commissioner to a registered party [the Australian Labor Party (NSW Branch)] under the Act, for a purpose not permitted under the Act.”

Two charges have been laid by the Commission, under sections 43(2) and 42(1) of the Act.

The New South Wales Crown Solicitor’s Office is prosecuting this matter on behalf of the Commission.”

The Commission says the maximum penalty for each offence is $22,000.

Mr Clements resigned as General Secretary in January after damaging sexual harassment allegations which he also denied

Comments
View Comments