Eight young men have been arrested in connection with multiple stabbings at a party in Melbourne’s CBD.
Police descended on properties across the city’s outer south-eastern suburbs on Friday morning, arresting four men aged 18, two aged 19, one 20 year old and a 16-year-old boy.
“Serious criminal charges” are expected to be laid, police say.
The arrests are the result of investigations into six stabbings at a party at a Spencer Street short-term rental in the early hours of Monday morning.
A 19-year-old Dandenong North man flagged down police at Southern Cross Station about 2.20am on Monday, telling officers he’d been stabbed after a fight broke out.
He was taken to hospital in a critical condition with several upper body wounds.
Five other young men aged between 17 and 20 were also stabbed and took themselves to hospital, though none of their injuries were life-threatening.
It was earlier reported that there had been nine stabbings. However, police clarified on Friday that they later established that three of the young men who presented at hospital were not involved in the incident.
Commander Mick Frewen said on Friday the arrests were a “great result” and highlighted that police will do everything possible to hold those involved in violent incidents accountable.
“We understand there is immense public concern when an incident like this occurs, especially in the CBD area that many people travel to regularly and expect to be safe in,” Commander Frewen said.
“It should also send a strong message that violent offending of this nature will not be tolerated.”