News Crime Convicted killer leads police to woman’s bush grave

Convicted killer leads police to woman’s bush grave

allesha boyd body found
Allecha Boyd was murdered in November 2017. Photo: NSW Police
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Police say the man convicted of murdering Allecha Boyd has led them to human remains believed to be those of the Wagga Wagga woman.

The grim find in a state forest in the NSW Riverina comes almost 10 months after Ms Boyd’s family pleaded with her convicted killer to reveal where he left her body as he was sentenced to 27 years’ jail for murder.

The 27-year-old was last seen alive in Coolamon in August 2017 and there have since been several searches in a nearby state forest for her remains.

Samuel John Shepherd was sentenced to 27 years’ imprisonment for Ms Boyd’s murder earlier this year, and another man and a woman have been sentenced for being accessories after the fact.

Mr Shepherd, who was described in by court by the sentencing Justice Richard Button as being a mid-level drug dealer at the time of the arrest, shot Ms Boyd three or four times in front of two people.

Police at the site where remains, thought to be Allecha Boyd’s, were found. Photo: NSW Police

On Wednesday, NSW police said the remains were found in the Lester State Forest, 20 kilometres south-west of Coolamon, and although they were yet to undergo forensic testing, they were confident they had found Ms Boyd.

Shepherd accompanied police and corrective service officers on a search of the site on Tuesday and Superintendent Bob Noble said it was information he provided to that led to the location.

“There’s nothing to suggest he wasn’t motivated by sincere motives,” he said.

“Ultimately, yes, he did take us to the place yesterday where the remains were exhumed.”

Ms Boyd’s sister, Rhiannon (left), said the discovery of the remains was “bittersweet”. Photo: ABC

Ms Boyd’s sister, Rhiannon, reacted on Facebook to the discovery.

“We can finally lay my sister to rest, still in so much disbelief yet such a bittersweet moment,” the post read

The Boyd family has previously pleaded with Mr Shephard directly and through media to tell police where the body was buried.

After his sentencing in February family members cried out to him: “Where is she, Sam? Tell us where she is. Please.”

Superintendent Noble said there had been a “significant” number of searches for Ms Boyd’s body since she went missing, in an area that was “remote and not well marked”.

“It’s been a painstaking process for police over a period of three years,” he said.

“We’re very pleased with this development.”