News Coronavirus South Australia adds historic deaths to COVID-19 tally
Live

South Australia adds historic deaths to COVID-19 tally

south australia covid
SA Premier Steven Marshall says the state is on track to further ease local virus restrictions soon. Photo: Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email
Live

South Australia has added 23 deaths to its COVID-19 toll along with 1577 new infections.

SA Health says the deaths occurred between December 31 and March 3 and have come to light following the latest release of information from births, deaths and marriages.

All those who died had tested positive for coronavirus, taking the state’s tally since the start of the pandemic to 213.

There are 106 people with COVID-19 in hospital, including 15 people in intensive care.

Two people are on ventilators.

Active cases across SA stand at 18,289.

Monday’s case figure was the fourth day in a row of falling infections after they spiked to 2307 on Thursday last week.

Premier Steven Marshall said the state’s case numbers meant it was on track to further ease local virus restrictions later this week.

The state’s COVID Ready Committee will meet before Friday to consider what changes can be made, considering the current rate of hospitalisations.

“Our numbers in hospital are very, very stable and that sets up a situation where we’re very likely to continue to ease restrictions at the end of this week,” the premier said.

“We don’t want to keep any restrictions in place one day longer than we need to.”

– AAP