News Coronavirus NT health minister catches COVID-19
Live

NT health minister catches COVID-19

NT chief minister
Natasha Fyles was selected by NT Labor's 14-member caucus to replace Michael Gunner as leader. Photo: AAP
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email
Live

The Northern Territory’s health minister has contracted COVID-19 as 831 new cases are reported and an Indigenous health group calls on authorities to do more to flatten the virus curve.

SecureNT said the number of cases reported on Sunday had also increased from 867 to 922 with the inclusion of more rapid antigen test results.

There are 156 people in hospital with three in intensive care. The number of active cases across the Territory is now about 7370.

Health Minister Natasha Fyles took to Facebook on Monday to confirm both she and her eldest son had tested positive over the weekend.

“The usual covid symptoms of aches, fever, sore throat and a sniffle but all very mild,” she said in a Facebook post.

“I’ll be resting but also keeping in touch with (the) team remotely.”

Amid concern over hospitalisation rates particularly among Indigenous communities, the Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance Northern Territory said there was still no sign of the peak in the Omicron wave that had been promised for weeks.

“We know we can’t stop spread but we need to still flatten the curve as case numbers continue at 1000 a day,” chief executive John Paterson said.

“The high case numbers will continue to translate into high hospital numbers if we don’t slow it down.”

AMSANT called on the government to ensure people with the virus were provided a safe place to isolate where they could be fed and supported when this could not be achieved in their homes.

“This would help stop positive people moving around in the community because they have to get food and because they don’t want to stay at home and infect others.”

“People need to be able to mix and move while infected inside a supportive facility. This has not been possible in central Australia at all.”

But acting Health Minister Nicole Manison said the government continued to allocate resources in the right places and make the necessary changes to managing the pandemic.

“We have made sure we’ve done absolutely everything to prepare for this moment in time where we’re at right now where we’re seeing COVID throughout the Northern Territory,” she said.

Ms Manison also confirmed that nine youths in the Don Dale Youth Detention Centre had tested positive for the virus along with four staff.

As well, there are 670 school students and 176 education staff with COVID-19.