News Coronavirus No public lockdown in Brisbane after doctor tests positive for COVID-19
Updated:

No public lockdown in Brisbane after doctor tests positive for COVID-19

queensland virus
The Princess Alexandra Hospital went into lockdown after the doctor's case emerged. Photo: ABC News:/Stefan Lowe
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Hospitals and aged-care and disability services in Greater Brisbane have been placed in isolation for at least 72 hours after a doctor contracted COVID-19 from a patient at Brisbane’s Princess Alexandra Hospital.

It is the first locally transmitted coronavirus case in Queensland in 59 days.

The doctor – who is yet to be vaccinated – had contact with the patient in the early hours of Wednesday before testing positive on Friday, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Saturday.

There is no need for the wearing of masks in the community, Ms Palaszczuk said. Photo: ABC News/Chris Gillette

The doctor worked with two COVID-19-positive patients on Wednesday, and was in the community on Thursday while possibly infectious.

She had not received the Pfizer vaccine, which began being rolled out in the hospital late last month.

The patient believed to have passed on the virus has the more contagious UK strain, and genomic testing is underway to confirm the doctor has the same strain.

The woman worked a shift at the PA Hospital late on Wednesday and Thursday while asymptomatic, and was infectious in the community for about a day.

Contact tracing is also underway and three high-risk sites have been identified.

Those who attended the Morning After Cafe in West End between 2pm and 3:15pm, Greenslope’s Corporate Box gym between 5:45pm and 7pm, and the Stones Corner Hotel between 7pm and 7:45pm must get tested and isolate for two weeks.

A number of low-risk venues, including Cooparoo McDonalds, have been identified by Queensland Health.

“The next 72 hours is pretty critical to see if there has been any further community spread,” the premier said

“I don’t want everyone to be alarmed at present.”

All hospitals, aged care and disability facilities are closed to visitors in the Greater Brisbane area, and masks will be mandatory inside them.

The Princess Alexandra Hospital has also been locked down.

All non-essential visits to patients will not be allowed and anyone needing to attend the hospital will be required to wear a mask.

The Emergency Department will remain open but people are urged to receive care at other hospitals or at a GP if possible.

Staff will have to wear masks at all times, as will patients unless it is not clinically appropriate.

Non-urgent outpatient bookings and elective surgery will be postponed.

-with AAP