After 44 days without a single case of COVID-19, Victoria has seen another diagnosis added to the state’s list of ongoing infections.
The hotel quarantine case is the sixth recorded COVID-19 case since the Victorian government resumed its hotel quarantine program earlier this week.
Five of those COVID-19 cases were reported on Saturday, from a total of 6233 tests.
There were 735 international arrivals in quarantine hotels by 11pm on Friday, according to the state government, including 55 with symptoms or complex health needs at the Novotel “hot hotel” in Melbourne’s South Wharf.
Those who test positive to COVID-19 are obliged to remain in hotel quarantine until they have tested negative and been cleared by officials.
Deputy Chief Health Officer Ben Cowie told reporters on Saturday that symptomatic and non-symptomatic arrivals are separated almost immediately at the airport, with major precautions in place for those who are symptomatic.
Professor Cowie said some 2000 tests of hotel quarantine staff had already taken place.
“Our hotel quarantine system was designed on the premise we would have returned travellers testing positive,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Victorian government on Saturday pledged that new $200 regional travel vouchers would be made available to residents after the first 40,000 vouchers offered through the scheme ran out.
An extra 30,000 vouchers for the Regional Travel Voucher Scheme will be made available from midday on Monday to January 22.
Business Victoria’s website on Friday morning crashed within minutes under the weight of applicants for the voucher program. The department said its website received 800,000 visits by 5pm on Friday.