News Advisor Poisonous lead ‘found’ in Maggi noodles

Poisonous lead ‘found’ in Maggi noodles

Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Indian shopkeepers have removed Maggi noodles from their shelves after unsafe levels of lead were allegedly discovered in packets of the ready-to-cook food.

Laboratory tests on noodle samples in capital city New Delhi found nearly seven times the permissible level of lead, state officials claimed on Tuesday.

‘Pro-rape’ beer removed after backlash
‘Hundreds’ unhappy with Jeep, Fiat cars
Why you should never, ever use UberX

“Tests in Delhi showed that 10 out of 13 samples contained lead beyond the permissible limits. Once we have all the results, Nestle India will be given an opportunity to explain,” Food and Consumer Affairs Ministry official G Gurucharan reportedly told the media.

“Samples have been tested from all across the country. We are getting the results one by one.”

After publication of the test results, five provinces — reportedly Goa, Haryana, Gujarat, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu — ordered their own testing.

There are conflicting reports of either state-imposed bans on the sale of the noodles in some parts, or voluntarily bans self-imposed by business owners.

Nestle India has disputed the claim of dangerous lead levels in its noodle product.

The Delhi government has reportedly threatened to take legal action against the company.

Lead poisoning is most dangerous to children, who can suffer stunted brain growth as a result of ingesting the element.

– with AAP.

Comments
View Comments