South Korea’s call to declare a formal end to the Korean War is premature as there is no guarantee it would lead to the withdrawal of the “US hostile policy” toward Pyongyang, North Korean state media KCNA reports.
South Korea President Moon Jae-in on Tuesday repeated a call for a formal end to the Korean War in an address to the UN General Assembly.
The two Koreas are still technically at war after their 1950-1953 conflict ended in a ceasefire rather than a peace treaty.
“Nothing will change as long as the political circumstances around the DPRK remains unchanged and the US hostile policy is not shifted, although the termination of the war is declared hundreds of times,” Vice Foreign Minister Ri Thae Song said on KCNA, using North Korea’s official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
“The US withdrawal of its double-standards and hostile policy is the top priority in stabilising the situation of the Korean peninsula and ensuring peace on it.”
On Tuesday, US President Joe Biden addressed the UN assembly and said the United States wants “sustained diplomacy” to resolve the crisis surrounding North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
North Korea has rejected US overtures to engage in dialogue, with the head of the UN atomic watchdog saying this week that Pyongyang’s nuclear program is going “full steam ahead”.
North Korea and South Korea test-fired ballistic missiles last week, the latest volley in an arms race in which both nations have developed increasingly sophisticated weapons amid fruitless efforts to start talks to defuse tensions.