News Qld confirms COVID-19 quarantine breach

Qld confirms COVID-19 quarantine breach

qld no cases tests
Queensland has detected a leak from hotel quarantine. Photo: AAP
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Queensland authorities say a returned traveller, who tested positive for COVID-19 on the Gold Coast, caught the virus in hotel quarantine in Brisbane.

Queensland has recorded no new cases of COVID-19 after genomic sequencing revealed a breach of the Delta variant in hotel quarantine.

No new cases emerged after authorities conducted 13,081 virus tests overnight, authorities said on Tuesday.

A Gold Coast man in his 40s, who tested positive on the weekend, caught the virus while quarantining at the Amora Hotel in Brisbane.

Chief health officer Jeannette Young said the man’s virus sample has been genomically-sequenced and matches that of another returned traveller who stayed in the room opposite him at the hotel.

“He has exactly the same sequence, it’s identical with no snips different,” Dr Young said.

Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said five people on the same flight as the initial traveller also caught the same Delta variant.

“It shows how infectious the new Delta strain is, which we are now seeing as the dominant strain across the globe,” Ms D’Ath said.

“And of course we will look at the CCTV footage in relation to that hotel, but we are confident, more than likely, this is going to be something that’s been transferred through the air in that hotel because of the nature of this virus.”

The Gold Coast man left hotel quarantine on July 12 and developed symptoms three days later, but he only got tested on the advice of his GP on July 23.

That result showed low amounts of the virus so he was retested on July 25, which revealed he had COVID-19.

None of the man’s family members have tested positive for COVID-19 in recent days.

Dr Young said the man was unlikely to infect anyone else but she still has concerns about another two cases who were infectious in the community in Brisbane.

They are a NSW man who allegedly illegally entered Queensland despite being a close contact of a known Sydney case and a flight attendant, who caught the virus after picked him up from Ballina Airport and driving him over the border.

The pair visited a number of venues in Brisbane, which along with the Gold Coast venues visited by the third man, total more than 58 COVID-19 exposure sites across the southeast.

“So they have been out and about in our community while infectious for a while,” Dr Young said.

“So it’s really important, I can’t overemphasise it, please could everyone keep wearing their masks because I genuinely think that has made a difference for Queensland in not seeing large cases out of any of these infected people.”

“Come forward and get tested, if you have any symptoms at all, and maintain that hand hygiene, all of those things add up and make a difference.”

The NSW man and the flight attendant are being investigated for breaches of public health orders in Queensland.

Deputy Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said that police will reveal the outcome of their investigation on Tuesday afternoon.