News Doctor found guilty of lover’s murder after second trial

Doctor found guilty of lover’s murder after second trial

maureen boyce - thomas lang
Maureen Boyce was found dead in her Kangaroo Point apartment with multiple stab wounds. Photo: Facebook
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A US doctor charged with murdering his Brisbane lover, leaving a knife embedded in her abdomen has been found guilty for the second time.

Dr Thomas Chris Lang, now 68, denied murdering socialite Maureen Boyce whose bloodied body was discovered in her Kangaroo Point penthouse on the morning of October 22, 2015.

But after three days of deliberation following a two-week retrial, a Brisbane Supreme Court jury on Monday delivered a guilty verdict.

When asked if Lang had anything to say after the verdict, Lang said: “Yes, because I didn’t do it.”

Lang’s first conviction in 2017 over his lover’s death was quashed on appeal.

The former fashion model and mother of two was stabbed five times with such force that the blade pierced the blood-stained bedding beneath her three times.

“She was found with a kitchen knife embedded in her abdomen down to the hilt,” crown prosecutor Todd Mr Fuller told the jury.

“The tip of which had penetrated through to her back, on the opposite side into the sheet on the bed below her.”

Lang was the only other person in the apartment on the night she died, and the jury rejected his claims that Ms Boyce committed suicide.

Instead, it found Lang stabbed Ms Boyce in a jealous rage after she threatened to “hook up” with an ex-boyfriend.

Lang told police it was like a “stab to the heart” to discover she was still in contact with her former lover.

Ms Boyce and Lang had known each other for more than 30 years and had indulged in an extramarital affair in the United States in the 1970s.

When Ms Boyce returned to Australia, she was pregnant with Lang’s son who she raised with husband Graham.

Mr Fuller said Ms Boyce told Lang about his son in 2013 and the pair rekindled their relationship in the years leading up to her death.

Lang claimed the pair were engaged and intended to wed before Christmas.

Ms Boyce had been depressed in the days before her death, and the Crown conceded she had struggled with mental illness all her life.