News WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus goes into quarantine
Updated:

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus goes into quarantine

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says he will work from home as he self-quarantines.
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The head of the World Health Organisation says he will self-quarantine after being identified as a contact of a person who tested positive for COVID-19.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus wrote on Twitter late Sunday that he is “well and without symptoms” but will self-quarantine in “coming days, in line with WHO protocols, and work from home”.

The WHO director-general has been at the forefront of the global response to the coronavirus pandemic, which has infected at least 46.5 million people and led to more than 1.2 million deaths, according to a count of confirmed cases by Johns Hopkins University.

The tweet did not identify who among his contacts had been infected.

“It is critically important that we all comply with health guidance. This is how we will break chains of #COVID19 transmission, suppress the virus, and protect health systems,” Dr Tedros tweeted.

My @WHO colleagues and I will continue to engage with partners in solidarity to save lives and protect the vulnerable. Together!”

The UN health agency is based in Geneva, where cases are increasing and where tighter restrictions were announced on Sunday to curb the spread of the virus.

More than 1000 new cases have been recorded each day recently in an area of about 500,000 people.