Rolf Harris has been transferred to a London prison for the remainder of his trial on indecent assault charges as the jury prepares to decide its verdicts.
The 86-year-old entertainer was granted the right to appear by video-link from Stafford prison north of London for the first three weeks of the trial due to his age and state of health.
But Judge Alistair McCreath, presiding in Southwark Crown Court, said on Friday Harris must be in the court in person for the verdicts.
Harris is serving time at Stafford after being convicted on similar charges following his first trial in 2014. He is facing six new charges of indecent assault and one of sexual assault of seven female complainants between 1971 and 2004 when they were aged between 12 and 42.
The jury is on track to begin deliberations on Wednesday but Harris has been moved from Stafford to London’s Wandsworth Prison early to fit in with prison transfer days, the court heard.
On Friday he sat quietly in a glass booth in the court wearing a dark suit and tie, listening to evidence from defence witnesses.
The entertainer’s former personal assistant, Annette McQuarie, told the court she didn’t recall any after-show party at a London television studio where Harris allegedly groped a 42-year-old woman in 2004.
She said Harris’s two dogs Cadge and Summer had appeared in the animal program and Harris and his wife would have wanted to get them home as soon as possible.
Ms McQuarie said “there wasn’t any party”, as alleged by the complainant, and she saw no inappropriate behaviour.
Statements were also read to the court from witnesses who attended a variety show at the BBC Television Centre where Harris allegedly cupped the breast of a 13-year-old girl.
One said the group of children they were with had lost their way but Harris had been a “perfect gentlemen”, marching them in the right direction as they sang his song Jake the Peg on the way.
The witnesses said they observed no inappropriate behaviour by Harris.
The court also heard evidence from British actress Rula Lenska who in 1978 attended a celebrity games event with Harris in Cambridge where he allegedly groped a 16-year-old girl.
In a statement read to the court the actress said “hand on heart I can absolutely say I never witnessed anything untoward or suspicious”.
The trial continues.