Bankrupt former mining magnate Nathan Tinkler has told a court it would be “in everybody’s best interests” that he be allowed to travel to the United States in search of employment.
Mr Tinkler wants to attend a job interview with a mining company in New York on February 1, but has surrendered his passport, and needs the permission of the trustee of his estate to travel.
He said the company had an export focus and he would be helping them “find opportunities in the worldwide coal market place”.
Mr Tinkler was asked whether his prospective employer in the US knew he was a bankrupt to which he replied “well they’ve got Google”.
“I have told them, they are completely aware, I have not held that back,” he said.
Mr Tinkler also intends to fly to Hawaii to care for his two children by his former wife Rebecca, while she is away on a trip.
— ABC News Sydney (@abcnewsSydney) January 27, 2017
He told the Federal Court hearing he did not know his former wife had arranged for her mother to look after the children.
The court heard he would be accompanied on the eight-week trip by his fiancee and their two children, and his father was footing the bill.
He said he had been unemployed since September last year and his fiancee was providing for the family’s day-to-day expenses.
Trustee John Melluish of Ferrier Hodgson told the court he was concerned Mr Tinkler had not initially provided enough detail about how the trip was to be financed.
Mr Melluish said subsequent information provided made him “question the bona fides” of the trip.
Quizzed by the solicitor for the Trustee over whether he was giving a full account of his finances Mr Tinkler said: “If you want me to get receipts for milk and bread, I will.”
He was also worried that Mr Tinkler might not be so willing to return to Australia to meet his legal obligations if his family and job were overseas.
Mr Tinkler wants to leave for the US on Sunday and plans to return by April 8.
The hearing continues.