Life Travel Face masks and self-service check-ins as Qantas unveils big changes
Updated:

Face masks and self-service check-ins as Qantas unveils big changes

borders states coronavirus
Qantas will bring in a host of measures as it aims to carry more passengers from mid-June. Photos: Qantas
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

Qantas passengers will wear face masks and be encouraged to check in online as the airline unveils plans to return to carrying masses of passengers.

Qantas said on Tuesday it was preparing for eased travel restrictions, with hygiene and distancing measures to be rolled out across its aircraft and budget arm Jetstar from June 12.

Among other changes, passengers will also be encouraged to use self-serve bag drops and there will be hand sanitising stations at departure gates.

There will be increased physical distancing, hand sanitising stations and more disinfection of surfaces in Qantas lounges.

On-board measures will include enhanced aircraft cleaning.

Service and catering will be simplified to minimise contact between passengers and crew, and passengers will be asked to limit their movement around the cabin once seated.

“We’re relying on the co-operation of passengers to help make these changes work for everyone’s benefit,” Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said.

Qantas medical director Ian Hosegood said social distancing wasn’t practical on planes, and unnecessary given the low on-board transmission risk.

“The extra measures we’re putting in place will reduce the risk even further,” Dr Hosegood said.

Qantas’s announcement came despite premiers digging in further on opening borders to domestic travellers, amid a renewed push from federal Coalition MPs.

Federal Tourism Minister Simon Birmingham urged state and territory governments to welcome other Australians as soon as they could.

“When border restrictions were imposed … the country was recording significant daily new [coronavirus] cases,” he said on Tuesday.

“We now see very few daily new cases. And if we can, as a country,
maintain those very small numbers as we get things back to normal, then borders ought to be able to open up as well.”

states borders coronavirus
Queensland’s premier is standing firm on closed borders – despite mounting pressure. Photo: Getty

Queensland has flagged it is likely to keep its border shut to visitors from New South Wales and Victoria until at least September due to the coronavirus pandemic, prompting despair from tourism groups.

Western Australia and South Australia are also signalling their borders will remain shut until the end of winter.

“I know the NSW Premier is unhappy, I know Mr Birmingham is unhappy. But frankly, bad luck,” WA Premier Mark McGowan said on Tuesday.

“We’re doing the right thing by the people of WA.”

Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein refuses to even name a date for relaxing restrictions – although July seems the earliest.

“I understand businesses want a date – they want to plan for
the future, I understand that,” he said.

“However, we must step through this carefully.”

An equally firm stance from Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has dismayed tourism operators in the sunshine state.

Tourism chief Daniel Gschwind said businesses were “hanging on by their fingernails” and had been banking on an imminent domestic tourism revival.

“We’re trying to stay calm and hope to see a swift reopening of the borders as soon as possible,” he said, indicating the industry had hoped for a July start date.

Senator Birmingham said he respected the states had to drive the process of returning Australia to normal after the outbreak, including reopening pubs, restaurants and schools.

“But if, in a few weeks or a couple of months’ time, we’ve successfully implemented those next stages and phases of reopening, and there’s been no uptick in cases, then reopening borders is the logical next step to take,” he said.

Tourism, which employs one in 13 Australians, has been one of the hardest-hit sectors as governments act to contain the spread of COVID-19.

Senator Birmingham said public health was crucial but Australia’s economy needed kick-starting.

“We need people moving across this country again when it’s safe to do so,” he said.

Deputy Nationals leader David Littleproud said advice from the chief medical officer should be considered alongside state health authorities.

The Queensland MP said Ms Palaszczuk should not turn the borders into a parochial issue before October’s state election.

“We shouldn’t put ourselves in cotton wool for too long because it’s only going to destroy much of the tourism sector,” Mr Littleproud told Sky News.

-with AAP