An incident on a US plane has again raised concerns about the safety of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, after a faulty replacement phone reportedly filled the cabin with smoke.
It comes after Samsung was forced to foot the bill for a worldwide recall in September because of overheating batteries.
Thursday’s Southwest Airlines flight from Louisville to Baltimore was evacuated after the smartphone began to smoke while the plane sat at the gate.
All 75 passengers and crew exited the plane safely and no one was injured, Southwest Airlines said in a statement.
The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the report that the phone was the source of the smoke.
The smartphone’s owner, Brian Green, said he picked up the replacement phone at an AT&T store on September 21, The Verge reported.
Mr Green was allegedly asked by flight attendants to switch off the phone and put it in his pocket when it started smoking.
He provided a photograph of the box his phone came in, which displayed a black square symbol indicating a replacement phone.
However, Samsung is yet to confirm suggestions the burnt phone was a new model.
“Until we are able to retrieve the device, we cannot confirm that this incident involves the new Note 7,” it said in a statement.
“We are working with the authorities and Southwest now to recover the device and confirm the cause.
“Once we have examined the device we will have more information to share.”
Samsung agreed to a total recall of the Galaxy Note 7 after receiving reports of exploding batteries.
More than 90 reports were made in the US last month, including 26 reports of burns and 55 cases of property damage.
Replacement phones were made available on September 21, when the US Consumer Product Safety Commission approved the new models.