Life Tech Phone case leaks, leaves girl with iPhone-shaped scar

Phone case leaks, leaves girl with iPhone-shaped scar

iphone case leak
Facebook
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A nine-year-old English girl was left scarred for life after a liquid glitter phone case leaked on her leg, her mother has said.

Karly Retter’s daughter, Olivia, sustained chemical burns on her upper leg when she fell asleep on the broken phone case.

Photos of the injury show a stark burn on her right thigh – in the shape of an iPhone.

• Spirit of Tassie clean-up on
• WA fire threat increases
• Govt backburn may have led to Xmas Day blaze

“This case is full of acid and if it cracks it will cause third or second degree burns, this is the damage it has caused my daughter and she will be scarred for life,”Ms Retter said in a social media post.

phone case
Unicorns and rainbows cover the unassuming case. Photo: Facebook

“A lot of girls have these at the moment so just be careful.”

She said doctors told her the severe chemical burn was caused by acid and said scarring would be long-term, but had given her creams and dressings to treat it.

The £5 ($A10) case – bought in late December from a New Look store in London  – did not show any obvious cracks. The burn happened just seven days after it was purchased.

“I can’t believe it, she will have a scar in the shape of a phone on her leg,” Ms Retter told The Sun.

“There wasn’t a safety warning or anything at all on the case itself – nothing which warns you what was inside is a chemical which can cause serious burns.

“You just don’t think something like that could happen.”

New Look said it had now removed the product from its shelves.

It was not the first time one of the cases was reported to have caused injury.

In November 2015, a New Zealand woman suffered second-degree chemical burns after a liquid glitter case got a small crack and leaked the substance in the back pocket of her jeans.

Comments
View Comments