While crowdfunders continue to raise money for ‘Q&A battler’ Duncan Storrar, a man claiming to be his son has alleged he was a drug user who also got him addicted to drugs.
Mr Storrar’s question on Q&A this week skewered a panel of politicians by demanding to know why people like him – a part-time truck driver on the disability pension – did not receive a tax break in the budget.
Minister for Small Business Kelly O’Dwyer countered with an example of a cafe owner being able to afford a new $6000 toaster thanks to the Coalition’s concessions.
Clearly not satisfied with her response, crowdfunders have since raised over $50,000 for Mr Storrar – ostensibly to buy him a fancy toaster of his own.
But an article in The Australian on Thursday alleged Mr Storrar may be less deserving of the funds than the public first thought.
A young man claiming to be Mr Storrar’s son told the paper his father was a former drug user who caused him to go into a “downward spiral” aged 17 after also getting him addicted to drugs.
“I came to the conclusion the best solution was to cut all the crap out of my life,” said Aztec Major, who claims to have been drug free since 2014.
“I had to cut him out. I sort of see him as the kind of person I don’t want to be.”
Mr Major said the money donated to Mr Storrar – who allegedly camped outside his ex-wife’s house and stalked the family – was “ridiculous” and had been “eating away at him”.
The man who set up the Go Fund Me page, Samuel Fawcett, told the paper he now faced a “bit of a problem” in relation to where the funds would go.
Mr Fawcett said he had asked Mr Storrar if he wanted to donate some of the money to charity, and Mr Storrar said he had “some ideas of his own about what he wants to do with the money (and) it was more private giving”.