Entertainment Celebrity Guy Sebastian’s ex-manager trial resumes
Updated:
Live

Guy Sebastian’s ex-manager trial resumes

Guy Sebastian
Guy Sebastian has resumed giving evidence at his former manager's embezzlement trial. Photo: AAP
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email
Live

Pop star Guy Sebastian has resumed giving evidence after his former manager’s embezzlement trial was delayed following the judge’s death.

Titus Emanuel Day, 49, has pleaded not guilty to 50 charges including fraudulently embezzling money allegedly owed to Sebastian through royalties and performance fees.

He also denies 50 alternative counts of larceny, or stealing.

Peter Zahra, one of the most senior judges on the NSW District Court, died earlier this month after suffering a suspected stroke after the Australian singer had taken the stand.

Judge Timothy Gartelmann announced on Monday that he would take over the trial and had familiarised himself with the evidence thus far.

Crown prosecutor David Morters SC continued asking Sebastian questions via audio visual link after the star contracted COVID-19.

The musician, who has recently recovered from the virus, was taken through various royalty payments over the years.

One email expressed Day’s concerns he was not receiving commission payments from one account that directly paid artists their fees.

“My understanding was always that Titus and his wife had full visibility, they were on the portal, they had the logins,” Sebastian said.

“I was doing the songwriting … the least they could do was send an invoice.”

The Crown alleges that Day – who managed Sebastian via his company 6 Degrees between 2009 and 2017 – embezzled Sebastian out of almost $900,000 between 2013 and 2020.

But defence barrister Dominic Toomey SC said Day had an answer to every charge, and police were perhaps “seduced” by the entertainer’s high profile.

– AAP