Entertainment Celebrity It’s a boy! Harry and Meghan announce birth of royal baby
Updated:

It’s a boy! Harry and Meghan announce birth of royal baby

Prince Harry and Meghan have launched a tabloid fightback, suing a number of publications. Photo: Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The wait for the next royal baby is over, with Buckingham Place revealing that the Duchess of Sussex gave birth to a baby boy on Monday.

Minutes after revealing that Meghan Markle went into labour on Monday morning, the delightful news was revealed about 11.45pm, Australian time.

“Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex was safely delivered of a son at 0526hrs this morning. The baby weighs 7lbs 3oz (3.2 kilograms). The Duke of Sussex was present for the birth,” the announcement read.

“The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Lady Jane Fellowes, Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Earl Spencer have been informed and are delighted with the news.

“The Duchess’s mother, Doria Ragland, who is overjoyed by the arrival of her first grandchild, is with Their Royal Highnesses at Frogmore Cottage.

“Her Royal Highness and the baby are both doing well.”

The couple’s Sussexroyal Instagram page also shared the news.

It’s expected photographs of the unnamed boy – seventh in line to the British throne – will be released within two days.

The baby boy is seventh in line behind the Prince of Wales [Prince Charles], the Duke of Cambridge [Prince William] and his children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, and Prince Harry.

BBC reports that Prince Harry said they were “absolutely thrilled” and thanked the public for their support during the pregnancy.

He said Meghan and the baby were doing “incredibly well”, adding that they were still thinking about names for the infant.

In a simple statement at royal.uk and shared on Twitter, the palace had earlier raised hopes of imminent news when it said: “The Duchess of Sussex went into labour in the early hours of this morning. The Duke of Sussex was by Her Royal Highnesses’ side. An announcement will be made soon.”

The Duchess, Meghan Markle, was last seen in public on March 19, leaving royal watchers waiting for the big news.

Just before Christmas last year, Prince Harry and his wife had a long wish list: To move house from London, separate their personal brand from the Cambridges, and tour the US and Canada in 2019.

The first two have been ticked off: Meghan and Harry are preparing to bring their first baby home to Frogmore Cottage at Windsor, and their other baby, their Instagram account Sussex Royal,  already has 5.7 million followers.

The jubilant Duke of Sussex shares the news. Photo: BBC

But their plans to take their firstborn to the Californian-born duchess’ birthplace and adopted home – she lived in Toronto for seven years filming Suits – have reportedly been shelved for now.

While the duchess reportedly wants just three months’ maternity leave after the birth, “Meghan and Harry seem to be re-prioritising their travel plans,” according to Vanity Fair’s royals reporter (and Harry biographer) Katie Nicholl.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has congratulated the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on the birth of their son.

“Huge congratulations to Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, on the birth of their baby boy today,” Mr Morrison tweeted on Tuesday.

“Becoming a parent is one of the greatest joys of life!”

Prince Harry and Meghan announced they were expecting a baby on the first day of their visit to Australia last October.

Mr Morrison and his wife Jenny spent time with the royal couple during their trip down under.

“They had just announced the fact they were going to have a baby and they were really excited. I felt really excited too,” the prime minister told Triple M.

“It’s great that the wonderful day has come and everybody is well.”

He said a baby’s birth, whether royal or otherwise, was a fantastic moment for any family.