Entertainment Celebrity Rebel Wilson vows to fight the slashing of her defamation payout
Updated:

Rebel Wilson vows to fight the slashing of her defamation payout

Rebel Wilson court
Rebel Wilson on June 15, 2017 after a jury in a three-week Victorian Supreme Court trial unanimously found in her favour. Photo: Gett
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Rebel Wilson has unleashed an angry rant on Twitter, vowing to fight a Court of Appeal decision which saw her record defamation payment slashed.

After magazine publisher Bauer Media successfully appealed the payout to Wilson of $4.5 million, it was cut to $600,000 on Thursday.

While protesting on Twitter that “it was never about the money”, Wilson has vowed to appeal the “bizarre” court decision.

Hitting social media from a set in Europe, the Pitch Perfect actress said the decision was “so obviously challengeable” and slammed the Court of Appeal.

“There’s some really bizarre things in there guys,” she tweeted, claiming “everyone knew she lost money” after the defamatory articles were printed.

“The learned trial judge and Australian jury on the case who heard all the evidence clearly agreed,” she wrote.

Wilson, who last year pledged to donate any damages to charity and the Australian film industry, called the court decision “flippant” for ignoring her distress after “standing up to these bullies.”

She ended by saying the there was now $4 million less “going to less fortunate Australians” which is “clearly not fair.”

Wilson launched a rallying cry: “Come on Australia.”

During Wilson’s spotlit defamation case last year, she said a string of 2015 magazines stories about her age and upbringing portrayed her as a serial liar.

They damaged her reputation and future earnings and lost her roles, the court heard.

Relying on evidence from Wilson and Hollywood agents, Supreme Court Justice John Dixon concluded the stories led to her losing job opportunities.

In the largest defamation payout in Australian history, last September Wilson was awarded the $4.5 million, which included $3.9 million in economic damages relating to a loss of income.

Bauer immediately appealed on the grounds it was excessive.

On Thursday, the Court of Appeal in Melbourne found Wilson’s evidence wasn’t enough to prove “that there existed the valuable lost opportunities” that she contended.

“Ms Wilson was unable to establish that there was a causal connection between the defamatory publications, for which Bauer Media was responsible, and any loss,” Justice Pamela Tate said in the judgement.

“This court has therefore rejected Ms Wilson’s claim that she suffered economic loss.”

It cut the full $3.9 million component, and also reduced Wilson’s non-economic damages from $650,000 to $600,000.