Sport Tennis Tennis star Nick Kyrgios hit with massive fine for Shanghai outburst
Updated:

Tennis star Nick Kyrgios hit with massive fine for Shanghai outburst

Nick Kyrgios Shanghai
Nick Kyrgios will not play again in 2017 Photo: Getty
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin EmailComment

Aussie tennis star Nick Kyrgios is almost $40,000 worse off after dramatically quitting during a match at the Shanghai Masters.

Kyrgios shocked tennis fans on Tuesday when he decided enough was enough after losing the first set of a match to American Steve Johnson and retired.

The 22-year-old, who later claimed he was suffering from a stomach bug, was booed by the crowd as he walked off the court.

Kyrgios, who was angry with spectators and the umpire during his defeat, was fined $12,840 for unsportsmanlike conduct.

And he was stripped of his first-round prize money, set to be $27,071, for not seeing a doctor after calling it quits.

If a player retires from a match through injury or illness, they are required to see a physician – protocol Kyrgios did not follow.

The Canberran, who earlier this week claimed he had “found his purpose”, has previously ran into trouble at the Shanghai event.

Only last year, he was fined $21,200 and hit with an eight-week suspension for tanking against Mischa Zverev in the second round of the same tournament.

His ban was later slashed to three weeks after he agreed to see a psychologist.

During his 2017 episode in Shanghai, Kyrgios, who hit the ball out of the court in anger on one occasion, pondered out loud: “What’s happening here?” at the regular movement of spectators.

He later added: “Exactly why I shouldn’t come here.”

And when he was hit with a point penalty, Kyrgios said: “Poor officiating again. Sick of this place.”

Kyrgios later apologised for his behaviour, posting a statement on social media in which he said his retirement was due to illness.

“I’ve been battling a stomach bug for the past 24 hours and I tried to be ready but I was really struggling on the court today which I think was pretty evident from the first point,” he said.

“My shoulder started to hurt in the practice today which didn’t help either and once I lost the first set I was just not strong enough to continue because I’ve not eaten much the past 24 hours.

“I’m hoping to be okay for the doubles and will make a decision tomorrow morning, hopefully off of a good nights sleep which I didn’t get last night!

“I’m gutted to be honest as I was keen to keep the good momentum that I built in Beijing going and finish the year strong. I’ll do what I can to make sure I do.”

Kyrgios withdrew from the event’s doubles and has not posted on social media about the fine, but did add that he was “Brisbane bound” on Wednesday night after he announced he would play at January’s Brisbane International.

Comments
View Comments