Sport Boxing Qld gov deeply involved in negotiating Horn v Pacquiao rematch
Updated:

Qld gov deeply involved in negotiating Horn v Pacquiao rematch

Jeff Horn
Manny Pacquiao is no sure thing for a rematch with Jeff Horn. Photo: Getty Photo: Getty
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says her government is in formal negotiations to secure a Brisbane rematch between Australia’s Jeff Horn and Manny Pacquiao.

Horn beat Filipino Pacquiao in controversial circumstances last month.

Ms Palaszczuk on Sunday said she was in the advanced stages of negotiations following an informal meeting with Horn and Duco Events director Dean Lonergan on Saturday.

Horn’s welterweight win over Pacquiao allowed the 38-year-old Filipino to trigger a rematch clause.

The World Boxing Organisation ordered a scoring review of the ‘Battle of Brisbane’ on July 2 after scathing criticism of the judges’ decision in the US and the Philippines.

Horn was later endorsed as the rightful winner.

Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum told Reuters on Thursday a November date at Suncorp Stadium was being eyed by both camps.

A temporary cover would be installed to cover the ring and the first 10 rows of spectators as a precaution in case of rain, he added.

More than 51,000 spectators saw the first fight, with an estimated global audience of 500 million. The bout gave a $25 million boost to the Queensland economy.

-AAP