The New Daily

Jalals back making videos and earning a fortune

Court allows brothers to make more of their videos and in turn, rake in thousands of dollars.

jalal brothers

Max and Arman Jalal following their release on bail. Photo: The Jalal brothers want to make money from their viral videos. Photo: AAP

The fake Islamic terrorists who were charged with public nuisance in February will make hundreds of thousands of dollars this year from posting their prank videos online.

Last week, the Jalal brothers announced that their bail conditions, which banned them from posting more “offensive” videos online, had been changed. This means they could resume publishing their cruel video pranks, which experts conservatively estimate could earn them $4500 per clip.

The young Melburnians dress as Islamic terrorists and throw mock bombs at unwitting members of the public. Videos published to YouTube and Facebook also show them firing fake assault rifles at people or staging mock abductions.

The brothers last month admitted the videos were all staged, and involved family members and friends.

Jalal brothers: terror pranksters’ confession
Trio charged for ‘ridiculous’ terror prank
Top Gear apologises for ‘disrespectful’ stunt

In February the Jalals, aged 20, 18 and 16, were charged with public nuisance, possessing a prohibited weapon and behaving in an offensive manner in a public place.

But on Tuesday, lawyers for the Jalals told The New Daily that the Melbourne Magistrates Court had decided that bail conditions from their arrest could be changed following police confirmation their pranks involved family and not strangers, allowing them to resume their activities.

After reviewing the Jalals’ channel, an expert in YouTube advertising revenue told The New Daily that it was certainly possible the brothers were earning thousands of dollars per clip.

OMG! Creative planning director Ed Brice said: “$4500 per video based on their average views is plausible.”

If the Jalals post one video per week for the rest of 2016 – which they have said they plan to do – they would make $180,000 from ad revenue alone. However, this is a conservative estimate.

Watch one of the videos below:

Mr Brice said the per video figure could be worth even more when other factors were taken into account.

“When businesses buy YouTube ads you can target the type of person you are looking for,” he said.

“Everyone who has a Gmail account has a YouTube account so Google knows who you are and you can target people based on that information.

“If everyone wants to communicate to an audience then that audience becomes more expensive to target.”

A source who had spoken to the Jalals told The New Daily that the brothers had been asked to share articles to their Facebook page for $25,000 a post.

On Facebook they had almost 2.225 million likes and more than 11 million video views, delivering another lucrative revenue stream.

jalal brothers

The brothers dress in traditional Muslim attire for their pranks. Photo: Facebook

In November 2015, Facebook CEO and founder Mark Zuckerberg announced the social network would soon “give a revenue share on a portion of the views to content owners”.

Their YouTube channel averaged just over 482,000 views per video, with one video clocking 6.8 million views.

The Jalals had also reportedly been approached by firms willing to pay $100,000 to promote products in their content.

The Jalals and their manager, Fortafay, would not confirm or comment on these estimates.

However, the Jalals did tell The New Daily that revenue also varied depending on which countries videos were viewed in.

These were known as “premium” and “non-premium” countries. It is believed they have large followings in the United States and the Middle East.

Video allowance ‘negotiated cooperatively’ with police

Outrage erupted in late February when the Jalal brothers posted a video purporting to show a young child being targeted in a drive-by shooting.

The video came after a series of clips showing the brothers dressed in Muslim attire and dropping nondescript packages in front of people.

Following the drive-by video, the Jalals’ home was raided by anti-terror police and the boys were arrested, released on bail and scheduled to appear in court at a later date.

It’s since emerged the pranks were carried out on family and not on unwitting members of the public, as they had previously said.

jalal brothers

The brothers were slammed on The Project for their videos. Photo: Network 10

The Jalals’ lawyer Anthony Malkoun told The New Daily the altered bail conditions “were negotiated cooperatively with police and the court”.

“We made an application to vary the conditions because from the lawyers’ point of view, we were concerned about the equivocal nature of the word ‘offensive’,” he said.

The brothers had been banned from posting “offensive content” online in their original bail conditions.

“It is inherently subjective and because we had three young blokes we thought we’d better clarify their bail conditions as well as we can so they know the boundaries of what they can and cannot do,” Mr Malkoun said.

The Jalal brothers are Max Jalal, 20, Arman Jalal, 18 and their 16-year-old sibling.

YouTube, nor an Australian partnered YouTube network, Boom, would confirm requests from The New Daily about the Jalals’ earning capabilities.

top-stories-senate

  • janne apelgren

    The ‘actors’ may be family and friends, but these are filmed in public places with the risk of traumatising people who aren’t in on the ‘prank’. Personally, I’d rather watch a movie made by Bobby Galinsky.

    • You’re a wise person, Janne…. I want to subscribe to your newsletter now 🙂

    • Zac Johnson

      “Someone played a prank on me and now I’m traumatised for life” #nannystate
      You’ll get more traumatised watching the TV news and CSI every night.

  • Ian

    And if someone thinks he is protecting the “victim” and attacks and hurts the Jalals?

  • Tony Peters

    There is no doubt that this was a very foolish act. Had police been called during filming we could be hearing of the death of at least one ‘actor’ by police snipers.
    However, where was the outrage when The Chase team staged a Muslim like act in Sydney a few year back?
    Even the wording to this story leans towards accusations that the courts didn’t agree with.

    • Harry

      Different times, unfair comparo in my view.

  • citizen

    yeah, wouldnt be surprised if the whole ‘war on terror’ is staged. The real terror is the one they are neglecting. Gang violence and the ice epidemic.

  • aargh

    I’m just waiting for the copycats to jump on the bandwagon (either here or abroad)… especially now that the $$$ available have been highlighted by the media… and then we’ll see if anyone crosses the (legal) line or suffers an ‘unfortunate’ response from a member of the public or authorities who are not in on the ‘prank’…
    These are still irresponsible pranks/videos, no matter how you look at it….

  • John Koch

    I can only hope I stumble across your pranks,you need to be taught some respect. Figure that one out if you can.

  • Christopher Ellis

    Just what we have come to expect from Malborn, the wannabe capital of the southern hemisphere.
    It must be dead boring that this passes for entertainment

  • Harry

    It doesn’t need to be a cop Tony. There’s a lot of highly trained serving and retired military personnel who would react to such a threat.

    • Zac Johnson

      This isn’t movie mate.

      • Harry

        Right on, it’s the real world. Take a look.

  • Astrid, Sydney

    It doesn’t matter that only family and friends participated in these pranks. They are carried out in public and have enormous potential to adversely affect members of the public who think they are witnessing, or are about to become part of, a terrorist attack. Is it really funny to make people fear for their lives? Will it still be funny when a member of the public fights back?

Try us on tablet & mobile