The ABC news presenter at the centre of bloopergate has been hired by a Sydney radio station.
Natasha Exelby’s stunned reaction at realising the camera had cut back to her while a story was being broadcast attracted widespread attention, with many fellow broadcasters expressing empathy.
Speculation quickly spread that she had been banned from further on-air appearances by the national broadcaster, forcing ABC management to issue a statement on Tuesday saying the broadcaster would “never ever” punish a staff member for a blooper.
“Live television is a demanding art and slip-ups will happen — our presenters are humans, not robots. We take on-air standards extremely seriously, but we don’t expect perfection,” ABC news director Gaven Morris.
“No one would ever be punished for a blooper and, while it isn’t appropriate to publicly discuss confidential details of people’s personal work arrangements, this has not happened to Natasha.”
The story took a new twist late on Tuesday when Sydney radio station KIIS 1065 announced Ms Exelby had been hired to read the breakfast news.
“We are excited to have someone with Natasha’s expertise join our newsroom at KIIS 1065,” ARN’s National Content Director Duncan Campbell said in a statement.
“Not only is she a seasoned journalist, but the way she has handled the unexpected attention and public scrutiny following her ‘blooper’ this week shows Natasha has poise under pressure and, most importantly, a sense of humour so I am sure she will feel at home with the KIIS team”.
The ABC says Exelby is a casual who’s used on an on-need basis, but Opposition Leader Bill Shorten was among many who demanded she be given another chance.
Ms Exelby will read the news on KIIS next week, April 17 to 21.