Entertainment Movies Gal Gadot confirms Brett Ratner is out of Wonder Woman sequel over sexual misconduct claims
Updated:

Gal Gadot confirms Brett Ratner is out of Wonder Woman sequel over sexual misconduct claims

Gal Gadot Wonder Woman
Gal Gadot has confirmed producer Brett Ratner won't be involved in the production of Wonder Woman. Photo: Instagram
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin EmailComment

Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot has won her campaign to have producer Brett Ratner stood down from the action blockbuster sequel over sexual harassment allegations.

Six women have come forward to accuse Ratner of sexual misconduct after the Harvey Weinstein allegations spread across Hollywood. Ratner has denied the allegations through his lawyer.

An unnamed source told The New York Post‘s Page Six Gadot threatened to pull out of the superhero movie franchise unless Warner Brothers “gets rid of him”.

But the Israeli actress on Thursday told US broadcaster NBC’s Today show that everyone involved in the movie “echoed the same sentiments” and “it was already done” before the Page Six report appeared.

“At the end of the day, a lot has been written about my views and the way that I feel, everyone knows how I feel. I’m not hiding anything,” Gadot told Today.

“The truth is, there’s so many people involved in making this movie – it’s not just me – and they all echoed the same sentiments.

“So everyone knew what was the right thing to do, but there was nothing for me to actually come and say because it was already done before this article came out.”

Ratner had earlier told USA TODAY he was stepping away from Warner Brothers until the “personal issues are resolved” to avoid having a negative impact on the production company.

Page Six had quoted an unnamed Warner Brothers source as saying Gadot was “tough and stands by her principles”.

“She knows the best way to hit people like Brett Ratner is in the wallet. She also knows that Warner Bros has to side with her on this issue as it develops.”

Wonder Woman was co-financed by Ratner’s production company, RatPac-Dune Entertainment, and Warner Brothers, and was directed by Patty Jenkins.

It became the highest-earning film directed by a woman in its first weekend at the US box office.

The film was widely praised for its representation of women, and Gadot reportedly did not want the sequel to benefit Ratner.

“They can’t have a movie rooted in women’s empowerment being part-financed by a man ­accused of sexual misconduct against women,” the Page Six source said.

The Israeli actress last month refused to attend a dinner honouring Ratner in which she was due to present him with an award.

Warner Brothers last week announced it was distancing itself from Ratner amid allegations of misconduct by actresses including Olivia Munn, Natasha Henstridge and Ellen Page, despite Ratner denying their claims.

Earlier this month, Gadot posted on Instagram: “Bullying and sexual harassment is unacceptable. I stand by all the courageous women confronting their fears and speaking out. Together we stand.

“We are all united in this time of change.”

A post shared by Gal Gadot (@gal_gadot) on

Comments
View Comments